MODX Revolution 3.0.0 is out!
MODX is a website development and management system. With this utility you can customise a wide range of functionalities by adjusting all the options to suit your needs. After years of work, the development team is ready to present the updated version of MODX Revolution 3.0.0 to the world.
The new system is characterised by maximum freedom and plenty of possibilities. It can be used to develop websites that are perfectly tailored to your needs. The company puts customers' interests first, so it has tried to equip its software with more features and flexible customisation. This allows you to make your website the way you want it to be.
MODX Revolution 2.0.0 is still supported, so old sites will continue to work steadily and can be updated. For a better understanding of the changes, we have compiled a list of the major changes in the new version. This is to ensure that modx website development runs smoothly, and migrating old pages to the new system does not create problems, and sites continue to function stably.
CHANGES TO MODX REVOLUTION VERSION 3.0.0
The MODX system has been working properly for 17 years. During this time, the developers have continually updated it with new options and features. According to them the new version is a special milestone in the development of the programme. We're ready to agree with them, because MODX Revolution 3.0.0 retains all the good from the old revisions, but makes this good more easy to learn, intuitive and flexible in operation, complementing something new.
BETTER INTERACTION WITH USERS
Now it's much easier for the user to interact with your website. The new version of MODX features the following useful and interesting solutions:
- Updating the template selector. When creating a new page, you will be able to select all indicators from a pre-prepared resource tree. Here you can select the type of content on the page, the header, and the page template. All of this is visualised in the template selector, so website development becomes much easier;
- Changing the error log. Finding errors and fixing them is now much easier. The obsolescence log has been moved to its own tab, which will make working with it easier and finding the right bug faster;
- Login without password. It is now possible to log in to the site without entering a password. A link is sent to the user, which allows them to log in. It will only be triggered once, so the data will remain secure;
- The language system has been redesigned. The language of the manager will now be linked to a specific session. You no longer need to switch it through the system;
- Improved navigation. Chains of information in the manager have become intuitive, so there will no longer be any problems when trying to locate a resource;
- Modern interface. In the new version MODX Revolution 3.0.0 you will be welcomed by modern and stylish interface. Visualization of all tools was redesigned so that their functionality is intuitive to read and no questions arise. On the whole, working with the new manager has become more pleasant.
In version 3.0, many changes have been made which fundamentally change the way the system works. Because of this, the compatibility of new sites with old ones may be compromised. And some things won't work the way they did before. In order to keep your site running smoothly after switching to a new version of MODX, we've prepared a list of the most important changes:
- Support for sqlsrv has been disabled. Microsoft SQL Server software is no longer supported in MODX. This was not a serious problem because most Windows support a derived program. By doing so, we managed to reduce the load on the system kernel;
- The main directory can no longer be moved. Some users have moved or renamed the main MODX directory for more security and convenience. Now a moved or renamed directory will not be perceived by the system. Therefore, you will need to move it to the installation location and change its name to the original one before upgrading. To protect the main directory, we recommend setting up access rights through the web server itself;
- Compatibility changes. Most of the add-ons and options available in version 2.0 have been safely moved to MODX Revolution 3.0.0. The manufacturer tried to integrate them so that the system would not lose its effectiveness and reliability. But some older additions have not been transferred to the new version. Developer indicates them in a separate document available for everyone.
How to upgrade to MODX Revolution 3.0.0
Developing an online shop or other website on MODX Revolution 3.0.0 requires certain conditions to be met. The manufacturing company has tried to make this process as simple and fast as possible. Therefore, most users will not have any problems.
However, it is advisable to back up the site before updating to avoid problems and loss of large amounts of data.
Before you upgrade to MODX Revolution 3.0.0, there are a few important things to check:
- As mentioned above, the main site directory on MODX should be moved to the default location and the original name returned;
- The site must have a new version of PHP software installed. Versions less than PHP (7.2.5) are not supported, so it is imperative to upgrade to the new version before upgrading. The manufacturer recommends using the newest PHP versions such as 7.4, as earlier versions will not be supported;
- Some extra features added by users may not work correctly or in the way you are used to. This is especially true for the CMP management pages;
- Many custom add-ons, often used in website development, are still unstable. For example, such plugins include MIGX and pdoTools.
Updating via the MODX cloud
If the site is on the developer's cloud, the updating process will be much easier. All you have to do is create an additional instance of the site in the cloud. You will be able to update this version via the appropriate key. For this process to go safely and quickly, you need to follow some rules to ensure that the new site is stable from the start.
IS IT WORTH UPGRADING TO MODX REVOLUTION 3.0.0
We believe that any website will benefit from the use of advanced software. The new system is more flexible and multifunctional, so the resource will be able to gain new and interesting options and become more modern. Site development and management, too, have become easier and more enjoyable. The new interface design makes this activity an intuitive process. The latest version will be actively supported by the developer, which means that soon it will have many new features that will make your site even better and more attractive to users.
But support for older versions does not stop. The developer company understands that the transition to the new system requires time and the mobilisation of some resources. Therefore, in the near future 2.x versions will function properly, and bugs appearing in them will be eliminated. The company has announced that MODX Revolution 2.8.0 will be released soon for users who are not ready to migrate to the new version yet.
DEVNRISE offers website development on the MODX platform. Our specialists have studied all the features of the new system, so they will help you to create a new resource or transfer an old one to the new version.
Working with us will free your in-house specialists from having to deal with all the changes promptly and save you a lot of time. You'll have a modern website in no time at all.
- 137B Brivibas Street, Riga, Latvia;
- Office 2801, 182-184 High Street North, East Ham, London E6 2JA.